Get ready for a fun weekend to reconnect with your classmates and search out your old haunts in beautiful Penticton
Shatford Centre, 760 Main Street Penticton, BC, V2A 5E2
September 28, 29 & 30, 2018
How Fast Was That?
It seems like yesterday - we all had big plans for the future. While we were listening to ‘Hello Goodbye’ by the Fab Four, ‘Woman, Woman’ by the Union Gap, Itchycoo Park’ by the Small Faces, ‘Spooky’ by the Classics IV and ‘Words’ by the Bee Gees, a few other things were going on in Canada and the world at large.
Our Valedictorian, Bill Coleman, spoke eloquently about his hopes for the Liberals under the leadership of their new leader, Pierre Trudeau. We were all shocked by the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy. The Vietnam War was in full swing and a lot of us were glad that we didn’t have to worry about being drafted.
But the most important thing that happened to all of us in 1968 was that WE GRADUATED. We abandoned the confines of Pen-Hi and many of us even abandoned Penticton to search for a job or pursue higher education. Some of us stayed here, some returned only for family visits, and now some of us have moved back after decades away.
No matter which route you chose, at the time it was right for you - there was no right or wrong answer. Along the way we faced multiple forks in the road. Choice always made life interesting.
50 years on, all of us are better for our experiences and maybe worse for the wear! Regardless of the "wear", your personal situation and home locale we hope you can take the time to attend the 50th Anniversary Reunion of the 1968 Pen-Hi Grad Class.
The Reunion - When and Where
WHEN: September 28, 29 & 30, 2018,
Friday: Reception at 6:30pm,
Saturday: Picture at 4:30pm, Cocktails at 5:30pm, Dinner at 7:00pm, Entertainment to follow,
Sunday: Breakfast 9:00 to 11:00am
WHERE: Shatford Centre, 760 Main Street Penticton, BC, V2A 5E2 (the "Shatford Building" - Pen-Hi) 250-770-7668
Registration is easy: Use the Register button below. For those who are OK with online payments the final step of the registration process takes you to a payments page. If you prefer to mail your payment instead of paying online you do not have to complete the payment process.
To help in planning the event we want as many people as possible to register early. To encourage you to do so we have a two tier pricing structure:
1. If you register by June 30, 2018, the cost for Grads is $100 and for partners $90;
2. After June 30, 2018 the cost for Grads is $120 and $110 for partners
Registration is a two step process:
1. Register - Click on the "Register" button and enter the requested registration information.
2. Payment - If you have already registered but did not pay at the end of your registration process you can pay using one of two payment alternatives:
a) To pay by credit card online, click on the "Pay Now" button and follow the instructions
b) if you prefer to send a cheque, please mail the registration fees to Grad '68, C/O The Shatford Centre, 760 Main Street, Penticton, BC, V2A 5E2. If you are planning to take advantage of the early registration discount please ensure you mail it early so we have your cheque by June 30. You can post-date the cheque to June 30, 2018.
Not able to attend?
We would love to hear from you anyway so everyone can be updated on your recent life experiences. Please compete the update information sheet with your details.
Take note that the reunion dates are at a very busy time of the year for local hotels. Our dates lead into the start of the Fall Wine Festival. If you are planning to book a hotel you should do so sooner rather than later. The '68 Reunion Planning Committee has been able to reserve a block of rooms in three hotels. The rates quoted are subject to filling the assigned rooms.
Ramada Penticton Hotel & Suites - $157 / night for September 28 & 29, 2 standard queen beds, double occupancy, $20.00 for each additional adult. Rooms must be booked by August 27, 2018 at 250-492-8926 ext 0 (speak with front desk) and provide Group Code CGPE18 (Pen High Class Reunion). Can cancel up to 48 hours before arrival date without penalty. Deposit for one night required at time of booking. 7 rooms set aside.
Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre - starting at $167 / night. No cut-off date mentioned, but should book before end of August at 1-855-516-1093 and mention 50th Grad Union. 10 rooms set aside.
Days Inn & Conference Centre - starting at $109 / night. No cut-off date mentioned, but should book before end of August at 1-800-329-7466 and mention 1968 Pen-Hi Class Reunion. 12 rooms set aside.
Still Looking For Some Grads
HELP: we are still missing contact information for a number of our classmates, and hope you can help us to get in touch with them. If you have contact information, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or pass on the link to this website to anyone you think may be interested. Following are those whose contact information we are missing:
LLOYD , Ann
The organizing committee has arranged a number of additional activities during the '68 Reunion Weekend. Following is a list of those activities. If you wish to participate please register as indicated below:
1. Golf - Tee times have been arranged for Saturday morning (10am) at the Penticton Golf & Country Club. The course is level and easy to walk with plenty of open fairways. The Nine Hole rate is $37, carts are available at $10 a seat and clubs rental is $25. A few fun game elements will be added to keep this event relaxed and social. There will be time for visiting in the Club House after your round with plenty of time to get to the Class picture session at 4:30. There are limited number of spots available - so register early. There is no charge at the time of registration, you will pay at the golf course.
2. Wine Tour - The '68 Reunion Committee has arranged a tour of three wineries on the Naramata Bench, including one owned by on of our alumni. Top Cat Wine Tours will take you on a 3 hour tour to tastings at Ruby Blues Winery, Lang Vineyards and Deep Roots Winery (be sure to ask for Brian). The cost is $50. You will be able to complete the Tour and have plenty of time to get to the Class pictures session at 4:30. Book your tour directly with Top Cat at this link https://topcattours.zaui.net/modules/webBooking/index.php?id=69&action=Details&activityDate=1525417200 When you get to the web site select the date September 29, 2018 and then complete the form.
3. Historical Tour of Downtown Penticton - 10 am to 11:30 am on Saturday, September 29th. Retrace the footsteps of the students of Pen High coming and going along Main Street. We are sure it will be a walk full of stories waiting to be told, Put on your walking shoes and head north along Main Street as it is now and share memorable stories of how it was. It is you, and your memories, that will make the tour special. Meet at the Shatford Centre 10 minutes before the tour begins.
If you have any suggestions for activities you would like to organize and include here please forward information to the committee (contact link at the bottom of the page)
Over the years we have seen a significant number of our class pass. Whether by misadventure or other causes the loss is felt most closely by family and close friends. It is natural to lose touch with high school acquaintances and may not be aware of the passing. Below is the list of those we know have passed. If you are aware of others please email us the details at email@example.com:
Class of '68 Gallery
email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone number: 250-770-7688
The 1968 Grad Reunion Committee
Wendy Dolynuk, Rick Gartrell, Dick Harris, Bruce Kay, Harry Konkin, Deb Millar-Jervis, John McGladdery, Jim O’Brien, Jane Shaak (Peskett), Linda Swales (Rebelato), Murray Swales